To download the accounting connector, simply click on the 'Accounting' menu item under your username. The link to the connector is in the first bullet point. Once you've downloaded and run the application, here's how to set it up:
1. The first screen you will encounter is the main screen for the connector:
From here, click the 'Setup' button at the top right.
2. The setup screen should now be displayed:
3. Press the SetUp button in the upper righthand side of the window.
- along the top of the window that opens there are a series of tabs.
4. As you go through each of these tabs, the fields in yellow are required fields that are not completed. This first tab is used to setup your connections to ServiceBox and your accounting system. To setup the ServiceBox connection, simply type in the URL you usually go to to get to service box. there is no need to add the 'https://' at the beginning but be sure to include the '/servicebox' at the end. You should also type in your user id and password here. Click 'Test' to see if the connection is working.
To setup the accounting connection, first select the software you wish to use, QuickBooks or Sage (only the software installed on your system will be in the list.
Once you've selected the software, then select the company file you wish to connect to.
If you are using QuickBooks, you're done this step. If you are using Sage, you will also have to type in the user name and password (if any) of the user you wish to use to connect to sage. You may get a security error when testing the connection to Sage, if you do, follow the instructions here to allow the user you are using to connect to Sage to access your file through the accounting connector.
If you have any connection issues, there might be a solution in our FAQ.
5. There is a tab called Customers/Jobsites, in this tab you can configure the accounting connector to ignore importing Job Sites from ServiceBox to QuickBooks. So if you want to import all job sites in from ServiceBox, then do not check off any of the checkboxes on this screen. If you want to prevent any of the Job Sites from being Synced to QuickBooks Desktop then check off "Do not import Jobsites". This will not import any of the job sites into the system. If you want to select the customers categories that will ignore the job sites then you can select all of the customer categories that are relevant.
6. The next tab in the setup is to link your ServiceBox tax levels to tax codes in your accounting application. When you download invoices from ServiceBox to accounting, the connector needs to know what taxes to apply to the invoice lines in accounting when inserting the invoices into your accounting application. The first drop down is used to select what tax to apply in your accounting system when no tax is selected in the ServiceBox invoice item. The next two lists are used to connect a ServiceBox tax level to a tax code in accounting. To link them, select one entry in each list and click 'link'. The linked items should appear in the list below. If you make a mistake, simply click the incorrect row in the list at the bottom and click 'unlink'.
When you are finished this tab should look like this:
7. The next tab is used to configure when to start importing invoices and what accounts to use by default when importing the invoice. The date specifies the first date to use when importing invoices. This is used to prevent invoices that may have already been input into both systems to be double entered into ServiceBox. The other two entries are used to configure the revenue account to which items should be added by default and which receivable account to use for the invoice.
One thing to keep in mind, if an item has already been entered into Accounting with the exact same description as the ServiceBox item, it will use that item rather than create a new one. So if that item has a different revenue account then the default, the item's revenue account will be used.
When finished with this tab, it should look like this:
8. (QuickBooks Only) When you import invoices, the connector will create items based on the description in the invoice item if an item with the same description doesn't exist in your accounting system. In order to do this, it needs to know what type of item to create based on the item category in ServiceBox.
The 'Invoice Categories' tab is used to link the ServiceBox invoice item category to an item type in QuickBooks. To link the category to the item type, simply select an item in each of the two lists at the top and click 'link'. The newly linked item should appear in the list at the bottom. If you make a mistake, just click the item in the bottom list and click 'unlink'.
When you are done, this tab should look like this:
9. (QuickBooks Only) When an invoice is based on a quote, the connector will download and (if applicable) prorate the quote based on the percentage of the quote that was invoiced with the current invoice. To do so, the connector may have to create items as it did for the invoice items based on the description. It uses the linkages on this tab to decide what type of items to create, as it did with invoices only this time with quote categories from ServiceBox.
To link the category to the item type, simply select an item in each of the two lists at the top and click 'link'. The newly linked item should appear in the list at the bottom. If you make a mistake, just click the item in the bottom list and click 'unlink'.
When you are done, this tab should look like this:
10. The last step in the setup process is to configure what the connector will do and how it will do it. The settings on the last tab are:
Add/Update customers from accounting to ServiceBox - This setting tells the connector to take new and updated customers from accounting and import them into ServiceBox. We do not recommend you turn on this setting for normal operations. If you are new to ServiceBox, however, you may want to turn this on for the first time you sync with ServiceBox to load your customer data. Once done with that, you can turn off the setting and simply maintain your customer data in ServiceBox
Select Customers Only - This setting is only available if the previous one is turned on. If you check this box, you can click on the ... button to select which customers to upload into ServiceBox. This allows you to only upload those customers that you are actively working with into ServiceBox.
Only import customers with invoices into accounting - Use this setting if you only want customers that have invoices in ServiceBox to be downloaded into accounting. This will allow to you minimize the amount of data you import into accounting to that data needed for invoices.
Append company name to individual name for import from ServiceBox - When customers that are marked as individuals are imported into accounting from ServiceBox, their 'name' in accounting is setup as their first name and last name '(eg. 'John Smith'). Use this setting if you'd like to add the company name on the customer record to the name to make it more unique in your accounting software (eg. John Smith - Google).
Use ServiceBox invoice number in accounting - This setting tells the connector to use the invoice number as it appears in ServiceBox as the invoice number in your accounting system. If you wish to just have your accounting software continue to assign invoice numbers incrementally, turn this setting off.
Put the ServiceBox invoice numbers in invoice memo - If you choose not to use the invoice numbers from ServiceBox, this setting will tell the connector to add the invoice number from ServiceBox into the memo field. We recommend having this setting set if you are not using the ServiceBox invoice numbers to allow for easy cross referencing between the two system.
Preview customer actions before importing to accounting - This setting will allow you to see what the connector will do with ServiceBox customers before changes are applied. This will give you a chance to approve adding new customers or linking customers between the new systems, before this happens. If a customer already has a link to a customer in your accounting system, these changes will always be applied.
There is also a button on this tab labelled 'Send logs to Service'. This button is used for support purposes. When you have an error in the system and you contact support for ServiceBox, our support personnel may ask you to send the logs to them to aid in the diagnosis of the issue. Just click this button and the logs will be sent. These log files only contain information used by the connector during the synchronization process.